This laptop was presented during IFA 2015, however recently I have found couple of reviews and tests of this amazing computer. Personally, I am a fan of small, light ultrabooks with passive cooling. However players expect the highest possibly performance. Therefore, Asus has decided to manufacture the first liquid cooling laptop in the world!
Several years ago I was a fan of cooling mechanisms and so called modding. However we can observe the trend, that stationary computers fall into oblivion. I am also opposed to the use of powerful components (i.e. CPUs and dedicated GPUs) in laptops because of heating problems. To be honest, air cooling systems (especially in laptops) are not very efficient. Therefore Asus decided to prepare the laptop called Asus GX700 which has the docking station with liquid cooling system. The specification is impressive:
- CPU: Intel Core i7-6820HK
- Memory: 64 GB DDR4-2800 (Dual Channel)
- Screen: 17.3 inches (1920 × 1080), IPS, matte
- GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 980
- HDD: 2x SSD 512 GB NVMe (RAID0)
- Optic drive: none
- Dimensions and weight (the laptop): 430 mm × 312 mm × 38 mm, 3.9 kg
- Dimensions and weight (the docking): 430 mm × 385 mm × 120 mm, 4.6 kg
- Wireless communication: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth 4.0, WiDi
- Inputs and outputs: 3x USB 3.0, 1x USB 3.1 Type-C, Thunderbolt, HDMI, mini-DisplayPort, RJ-45, memory card reader, audio
You can clearly see that this computer is designed for games. The CPU is clocked at 2.7 GHz and can operate at 3.6 GHz in Turbo mode. However, the installed software called Asus Gaming Center detects when cooling module is connected and overclocks CPU at 4 GHz. Tests prove that this overclocked CPU provides the performance similar to Core i7-6700K CPU (4 GHz in normal mode and 4.2 GHz in Turbo mode), which is installed in stationary computers.
What about games? You should know that two different power suppliers are included, the first is for operation without Hydro Overclocking System, the second is for liquid cooling module. Of course the second power supplier provides more power for dedicated GPU. When it is connected, then the performance of desktop GeForce GTX 980 GPU is achieved. However, if we decide to play without Hydro Overclocking System then it will have about 20% – 25% fps less.
Now the only question is whether it will be worth to buy this laptop and who will choose this Asus computer. One thing is sure, this is not a mobile hardware, but it provides very high performance.