Asus moves full steam ahead. They launched on the marked Tri-Band Wireless Gigabit router, model RT-AC3200. At first glance it looks like from Sci-Fi movie. It is equipped in 6 external monopole antennas. The aggregated throughput, combined in three bands, is 3200 Mbps.
It allows us to smoothly stream high resolution videos, share big files and play online games without lags, at the same time of course. Smart Connect will choose the fastest available Wireless technology for us. What is also interesting? Asus implemented TurboQAM technology, which accelerates 802.11n standard in 2.4 GHz band from 450 Mbps to 600 Mbps!!! Also, security features are implemented: Router Security Scan, Malicious Site Blocking, Vulnerability Protection, Infected Device Detection and Blocking. Let’s analyze all of them, in order to get the full picture.
- Router Security Scan – this function detect security vulnerabilities and recommends protection improvements for your network;
- Malicious Site Blocking – this function blocks harmful webpages;
- Vulnerability Protection – this function protects against common internet-based attacks and exploits
- Infected Device Detection and Blocking – the last listed function detect infected devices in our network and block sending of personal information.
The router provides parental control, protection of privacy and increased security developed by Trend Micro company. The cloud from Asus (called ASUS AiCloud) also is supported. We can use it for data synchronization, sharing and streaming.
Here is the full specification:
- Network standard: IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n, IEEE 802.11ac, IPv4, IPv6;
- Product segment: AC3200 ultimate AC performance: 600+1300+1300 Mbps
- Data rate: 802.11a : 6,9,12,18,24,36,48,54 Mbps, 802.11b : 1, 2, 5.5, 11 Mbps, 802.11g : 6,9,12,18,24,36,48,54 Mbps, 802.11n : up to 450 Mbps, 802.11ac: up to 1300 Mbps, 802.11n TurboQAM: up to600 Mbps;
- Antennas: External antenna x 6;
- Operating frequency: 2.4 GHz/5 GHz x1, 5 GHz x2;
- Encryption: 64-bit WEP, 128-bit WEP, WPA2-PSK, WPA-PSK, WPA-Enterprise , WPA2-Enterprise , Radius with 802.1x, WPS support;
- Firewall: SPI intrusion detection, DoS protection;
- Access control: Parental control, Network service filter, URL filter, Port filter;
- Management: UPnP, IGMP v1/v2/v3, DNS Proxy, DHCP, SNMP, NTP Client, DDNS, Port Trigger, Virtual Server, DMZ, System Event Log;
- VPN support: IPSec Pass-Through, PPTP Pass-Through, L2TP Pass-Through, PPTP server, OpenVPN server, PPTP client, L2TP client, OpenVPN client;
- WAN connection type: Automatic IP, Static IP, PPPoE (MPPE supported), PPTP, L2TP;
- Ports: 1 x RJ45 for 10/100/1000/Gigabits BaseT for WAN, 4 x RJ45 for 10/100/1000/Gigabits BaseT for LAN, USB 2.0 x 1, USB 3.0 x 1;
- Dimensions: 290 x 188 x 58 ~ mm (WxDxH);
- Weight: 1020 g;
- Router Special Features: 3G/4G data sharing, AiCloud, Printer server, Download Master, AiDisK, Multiple SSIDs, Parental Control
Now, the best. Described device is available from end of May and the price is about 300 USD. I think that the amount is not excessive, especially if you look at the capabilities.